Cooking Time: 35-40 minutes
Serves: 10 (makes 20 rolls)
Nutrition Information: (2 sausage rolls - approx 180g per serve)
Cals: 234.4 kJ’s: 984.4 Protein: 25.0g Carbs: 26.4g Fat: 3.2g
What you need:
800g (98%) fat-free turkey mince
2-3 parsnips, washed, peeled and cut into pieces
3-4 fennel stalks, finely chopped
3 spring onions / scallions, finely chopped
canola oil cooking spray
2 large zucchinis, grated
2 tbls (40g) of dried cranberries, chopped
2 – 3 heaped tbls cranberry jelly
1 tbls ground cumin
small handful of fresh parsley, finely choppe
12 filo pastry sheets
¾ cup of tomato passata cooking sauce
2 tbls Worcestershire sauce
70g low-fat feta cheese
pepper to season
Glaze and garnish:
2-3 tbls soy milk or almond milk
poppy seeds or sesame seeds
What to do:
1. Preheat oven on 200°C /392°C (fan-forced oven). Line 2 x large baking trays with baking paper. Steam or boil parsnips. In a medium saucepan, bring 2-3 inches of water to a boil. Add parsnips. Cook parsnip pieces for 10 minutes, or until they are fork-tender. Use a fork or potato masher to mash the parsnip pieces. Set aside to cool.
3. Combine turkey mince, zucchini, onion and fennel, cranberries, cranberry jelly, cumin and parsley into a large bowl. Add parsnip mash, Worcestershire sauce and passata sauce and crumble feta cheese over the top. Season with black pepper and mix well.
4. Place one sheet of filo on a flat surface. Cover the other sheets with a slightly damp tea towel to prevent them from drying out. Spray one sheet lightly with oil, lay another sheet on top and repeat with another sheet, having 3 sheets in total.
5. Spoon the turkey-veggie mixture along the longer edge of the prepared filo sheets. Spread the filling/ mixture out to form a long sausage. Carefully, roll sheets up into a large sausage roll. Cut the roll into 5 smaller rolls. Place onto the baking tray with the join of the pastry sheets underneath. Repeat with remaining mixture and filo pastry sheets until you have 20 small sausage rolls.
6. With a sharp knife, score 1-2 little slits on top of each sausage roll. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush each roll with milk and sprinkle sesame seeds / poppy seeds on top. Bake sausage rolls in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until filling is cooked through and pastry is golden. Serve the sausage rolls with tomato sauce/ chutney or tomato relish on the side.
*Meal Classification - Inside the Window